TARGET MOSQUITO BREEDING SITES IN AND AROUND YOUR HOME.
Find mosquitoes before they find you! Join the Bergen Bites Back initiative. Get your yard ready for mosquito season now!
Prevent mosquito breeding sites by doing the following at least once a week:
- Empty, clean, turn over and/or dispose of containers that can hold water, such as tires, buckets and flower pots, both inside and outside of your home.
- Clean drains and gutters.
- Keep swimming pools/ponds adequately treated with recommended products to eliminate mosquito breeding sites.
Use screens on open windows and keep doors closed.
Wear long-sleeved bright colored clothing. Use permethrin-treated clothing and gear.
Use an EPA-registered insect repellent. Follow label instructions. Remember to apply sunscreen first, then insect repellent.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Water + 7 Days = Mosquitoes
- Litter Free Property = Less Mosquitoes
- The Bergen County Clean Communities Program offers Mini-grants to non-profit groups in exchange for clean-ups of public property.
- There are over 60 species of mosquitoes in New Jersey.
Different mosquitoes carry different viruses that spread diseases:
Type of Mosquito: Type of Virus: Biting Habits
- Aedes aegypti, > Chukungunya, > Mostly daytime but can
Aedes albopictus Dengue, Zika also bite at night
- Culex species > West Nile > Evening to morning
IF YOU ARE BITTEN
If you think you've been bitten by a mosquito:
- Wash the bite with soap and water
- Put on calamine lotion to help stop the itching
If you get sick after being bitten by a mosquito and suspect a mosquito-borne disease call your doctor. Tell your doctor where you have traveled.
County of Bergen
Bergen County Executive, James J. Tedesco III and the Board of Chosen Freeholders
Steven A. Tanelli, Chairman • Tracy Silna Zur, Vice Chairwoman • John A. Felice, Chair Pro Tempore • Maura DeNicola • Thomas J. Sullivan • DAvid L. Ganz • Dr. Joan M. Voss
Bergen County Department of Health Services: 201-634-2600 | www.bergenhealth.org
Bergen County Clean Communities Program: 201-634-2782
Mosquito Control in Bergen County: 201-634-2880 | More info: www.cdc.gov/zika, https://nj.gov/health/cd/zika/
Learn more about Bergen Bites Back and the Zika Virus at https://www.co.bergen.nj.us/health-promotions/bergen-bites-back